Submissions are now open for the 2017 Lexus Australia Short Film Fellowship, the largest cash fellowship ($200,000) for short film in Australia.
For the second year, four Fellowship winners will receive $50,000 each to produce their next short film in the coming year, to premiere at the Sydney Film Festival in 2018. Filmmakers have to submit their entries before the 1 December 2016 deadline.
It’s a simple process with no entry fee. All filmmakers are required to do is submit an eligible film and curriculum vitae by 1 December. A Sydney Film Festival panel will select 20 finalists to submit entries to be judged by the 2017 Lexus Australia Short Film Fellowship Jury. The four winning Fellowships will be announced during the 2017 Sydney Film Festival.
Australian screen icon Judy Davis who chaired the 2016 Lexus Australia Short Film Fellowship Jury said, “The Fellowship offers an incredible investment in nurturing the next generation of Australian film industry achievers. It was an honour to be involved in selecting the four winners of the Fellowship last year: Anya Beyersdorf, Brooke Goldfinch, Alex Murawski and Alex Ryan, who are in the process of creating four incredibly exciting films to premiere at the 2017 Sydney Film Festival.”.
The Fellowship is open anyone who meets ALL the following eligibility requirements:
• Must be at least eighteen (18) years old;
• Has never directed a full-length feature film, nor be in pre-production on one at the time of submission and thereafter;
• Has written AND directed at least one (1) short film (under 40 minutes in length) which has been accepted to a film festival AND/OR is a current enrolled student in a film school;
• Can speak and write fluently in English;
• Must not have a pre-existing agreement with a film or television studio that would interfere with or prevent with entrant’s ability to participate in the Competition;
• Available to attend 2017 Sydney Film Festival held between 7 to 18 June 2017;
• Is an Australian citizen.
How to Enter
Please click here for details on how to enter and full terms and conditions.
Sydney Film Festival’s Festival Director Nashen Moodley, and Adrian Weimers, Corporate Manager, Lexus Australia introduce the new Lexus Australia Short Film Fellowship here.
Some of last year's shortlisted filmmakers talk about what the fellowship means to them here.
Pictured (left-right): 2016 Lexus Australia Short Film Fellowship recipients Alex Murawski, Anya Beyersdorf, Brooke Goldfinch and Alex Ryan.